"Little Home Histories of Belmont County" page 23. William "Black Bill" Bundy was born in 1819, the eighth child of afamily of eleven. His parents were William and Sarah Overman Bundywho came over the mountains from Wayne County, North Carolina in acart and settled in this section of Belmont County. He was five yearsold when the "brick house" was built. The children loved to run up anddown the inclined runways used by the masons in constructing the(then) unusual house which is located on the Barnesville-Bethesda roada mile west of Speidel and is familiarly known as the "Alden Lee Place". At the age of nine, his father died and he grew to manhood underthe guidance and care of his pioneer mother. She taught him to hatethe institution of slavery, and later he took an active part in thediscussions of the leading questions of the day. The foremost of these were the abolition of slavery and he naturally became a conductor on the underground railroad. It was his duty to take the passengers from the next man south and conduct them as far north as possible and get back by day break. Theaged slaves and children rode in the wagon and the rest marched behind. It was because of this experience that he became known as"Black Bill", although he was quite dark complected, the name suited him. When he reached the age of 24, he married Prudence Wood. She died eighteen months later and left him an infant son. About the timeof his marriage "Black Bill" built a story and a half house across the road from his fathers famous brick house. It consisted of two ground floor rooms and two rooms upstairs. He had a windless well, outside Dutch oven and an outside cave to accommodate the housewife. Three years later "Black Bill" married Asenath Doudna, and to them nine children were born. In 1860 a lean to kitchen was built onto the house and in 1868-69 the final addition was made by SamuelWilliams. It is still standing today as it was finished in 1869. In the early days, one toiled for the necessities of life. Softsoap was made by leaching wood ashes. Cloth was made by spinning their own flax, and carpets were made of woven rags. They had a maples ugar camp and also raised cane for molasses. They progressed from the sickle the combine, from the tramping out of the grain to the threshing machine in their generation. There was an interesting reason for enlarging the farm house tosuch proportions in 1868. "Black Bill" was very much interested in the "Drove Road" and its purpose. This road is only a tradition now, but it existed for a very good reason. When the National road was built, it was surfaced with hand crushed stones which were too sharp and rough to drive the herds of sheep, cattle, mules and horses onf rom the middle west to the east coast and so the "Drove Road" was built. It entered Belmont County at Putney Ridge, winding east thru Barnesville, passing on south of Bethesda and Belmont to the Ohio River at the mouth of Grave Creek where the cattle could ford across. "Black Bill" would give these drovers and their herds accommodations for the night as they passed thru, As many as 5000 head of sheep or1000 head of cattle would be cared for in a few days. At one time four drovers brought 149 mules and horses thru. The mules were herded into the mule lot and the neighbor boys were hired to watch them while the drovers rested and slept. One night they played "hookey" and it took all the next day to round them up again. Always interested in public advancement and in the forefront ofaction, he was elected to represent Belmont County in the Ohio State Legislature in 1875, although he was a Republican in a DemocraticCounty. His wife Asenath, died 1888, after 42 years of happy family life. His son Clark Bundy and wife Rachel Crew Bundy, were living on the west coast and asked him to come and live with them. Black Bill said "No, it is hard to transplant an old tree." In 1891 he sold his large farm to Allen Bailey and it is still known by that title. He built a new house which is now owned by the Belmont County Children's Home, but is better known as the Wilford T. Hall farm. He lived there until hisdeath in 1905 at which time he was in his 86th year. William Bundy opened his farm home to every orphaned or aged relative that he had and sheltered close to 20 at some time in his life. Of his nine children, only Dillwyn C. Bundy of Tacoma, Ohio is living. e is my grandfather and is from him that I gained the facts for this history. Written by Bernita Bundy, Great Granddaughter of William Bundy BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES, BELMONT COUNTY, OHIO "History of the Upper Ohio Valley" Vol. II, 1890. Presented by Linda Fluharty from hard copies provided by Mary Staley & Phyllis Slater. Pages 712-713. HON. WILLIAM BUNDY, one of Warren township's early settlers and a man of considerable influence, was one of eleven children, viz.: Mary, deceased; Ezekiel, deceased; Eli, deceased; Charity, deceased; John, living in Barnes- ville; Nathan, deceased; Sarah, deceased; William, our subject; Dempsey, deceased; C., deceased, and Elizabeth, born to William and Sarah Bundy. William Bundy, the father of our subject, was born in 1780 in North Carolina, and came to Belmont county about 1807, and settled on the farm near Barnesville now occupied by William Bundy. William Bundy, Jr., remained here until his death in 1828. His wife, Sarah (Overman) Bundy, was also a native of North Carolina. The Bundys are of Scotch descent. Mr. and Mrs. Bundy were members of the Society of Friends, and have been by birthright as far back as can be remembered. Mr. Bundy, our subject, was born near where he now lives in 1819, and spent his boyhood days on the farm. He received his education in the schools of his neighborhood. At the age of twenty-four he married Miss Prudence Word, by whom he had one child, Allen, who died when about twenty-two years of age. Mrs. Bundy lived but about eighteen months after her marriage. In three years he was again united in marriage to Miss Asenath Doudna, a daughter of Joel Doudna, who was a native of North Carolina. By this union nine children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Bundy, viz.: Prudence, deceased; T. Clarkson; Almedia, deceased; Evaline, deceased; Charles, deceased; Dillwyn, Rebecca H., and one child that died in infancy. The family are all members of the Society of Friends. In 1875 Mr. Bundy was elected representative by the republicans. Although the county was democratic, he served them so well that all parties were satisfied. On September 22, 1889, he suffered a great affliction in the death of his devoted wife, his companion of forty-two years. Mr. Bundy lives on his pleasant farm of 365 acres of well-cultivated land. He is liked by al his neighbors, and is well spoken of by all who know him.